HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:41:51 -0400
For what its worth....

When we do "big" projects (excavation, large scale surveys etc.) we often
produce two reports.  The first is the technical document that has site
locations, legal information, significance.  That is the report for the  SHPO,
agencies and reviewers.  If our client/agenies are agreeable we might  take our
detailed historic context or site history with references and send it  to the
local museum or research library where we did historical research for  their
collection.  They love local history information.  Sometimes we  take the overall
report, remove all site locational or sensitive data and  send that report to
the libraries/museums.  It depends on the  sensitivity of the project how much
information is released (and always with  approval from clients or the
agency).

We do so much local history research and writing it seems a shame not to  get
it back out to the public one way or another, since many projects are funded
with public money. This is our solution.  As far as grey literature going
out to other archaeologists, that is a harder issue to resolve and I welcome any
 good solution!

Mary L.  Maniery
PAR Environmental Services,  Inc.