From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:20:04 PST
Steve Schwartz wrote concerning the movie "Hilary and Jackie":

>The title, as cleverly cheap a bit of exploitation as I've seen in a
>while, should have tipped me off.

Actually, I think the title's pretty good.  It's catchy and easy to
remember; the success of "Thelma and Louise" probably had a hand in the
decision.

Steve was critical of the movie exploiting and pandering to popular taste.
For better or worse, the large majority of people are very interested in
the private lives of persons of note - that's what sells.

Concerning private lives, I personally find it disgusting when individuals
provide to the public details of private matters, particularly dealing with
the family.  I think it's taking the "low" road, and I don't buy off on the
statements of the "victims" that it represents a "cleansing" that allows
them to get on with their lives.  There must be better ways to reach
resolution.

Don Satz