From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:12:46 -1000
Ian Foster wrote:

>I hold the Vaughan Williams Tuba Concerto in great affection...  Do list
>members know of any other recommendable versions?

Many Tubists who grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's consider the John
Fletcher/Previn/LSO performance on RCA/BMG to be definitive.  Fletcher who
was principal tubist of the LSO at the time, had access to the original
manuscript which had corrections that weren't in the published score until
it was revised in the 1980s.

If you want to hear the man who premiered the concerto, there is a version
by Phillip Catelinet with Barbirolli and the LSO made the day after the
world premier.  Might still be available on EMI.CMS 566543 2 (2CD)

The LSO tubists have had a great track record with this work.

Another reading worth checking out is by great swedish player Michael
Lind of the Stockholm Phil which used to be available on Caprice.

There was a non commercial recording of the famous tuba teacher Harvey
Phillips of Indiana University that was on LP.  Only a so-so reading.

The late Arnold Jacobs of the Chicago Symphony recorded a commercial
version for DG, but was disappointing compared to his recording that
appeared on a CSO fund raising CD that is now out of print.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine