From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:54:13 -0600
Jane Pierce wrote:

>Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>Or will the art of music get completely lost in the business of music.
>
>...Is grand scale staging, lighting, acoustical aids and use of modern
>electronic boxes going to suffice in the future, for the muscianship
>needed to perform the cm literature on traditional instruments we now
>experience on the concert stage? This too, is part of the music business
>I think you are referring to.  Am I right?

I come from the school of thought that the media has the ability to
manipulate its audience.  Like any aspect of a civilization, there is
no way of saying how long it will last.  I believe that societies evolve
and the concept of "for the better or worst," is perhaps more subjective
than objective.  Do I like an electronic realization of music written for
acoustic instruments...well in a sense...since I listen to records I guess
I do.  Do I like Tomita doing Ravel.  Not very much.  My main concern is
that the drive to increase market share will result in an increasing
control of content.  One example being the "artistic administrator" of a
symphony orchestra.  However, I can imagine a time when a violin will hang
in a museum and there will be very few who will know how to play it.

Karl