From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:17:34 -0600
Jesus Pimentel wrote:

>I'm relatively new on the list, and this is the first time a post a
>message.  I like a lot barroque music, especially Bach(of course!!).
>Can anyone give me a suggestion on a good recording for Scarlatti's
>sonates, both piano transcriptions and cembalo?

Although I am leary about the word "definitive", one certainly has to
give Scott Ross credit for his complete traversal on Harpsichord.  The
project, so dear to him, exhausted him to an earlier grave than perhaps
he may have faced were he not so determined to finish.  (Mr. Ross battled
a terminal illness even as he recorded the works).  Although he never
finished the project, Fernando Valente started the cycle for Westminster.
These recordings are difficult to come by as only a portion have been
released on cd, and only in the UK that I have thus far found.  I have an
lp or two and they are extremely exciting.  As for piano recordings, I
would recommend either Horowitz or Pogorelich.

Kevin Sutton