Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:45:38 -0500
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Stirling Newberry, working very hard to rebut some observations made by
Denis Fodor concerning his lyrics, writes:

>But it is also the artist's right to demur and ask "is this really just
>and sufficent ground to reject the work? Because it makes - of all things
>- uncomfortable with its methods?"

The right's acknowledged.  But it has nothing to do with this case.
Reject the work? I did nothing of the kind.  I confined myself to (a)
saying the music was fine, and (b) objecting to the deliberate misspelling
of two key words because the result was infelicitous.  There was no
objection to quite a number of things that Mr. Newberry misconstrued as
objections--for instance his scheme of meter.  I wouldn't object to that
because observation of meter in blank verse is worth striving for--though
hellishly hard to make sound facile.  Please be assured that I wish our
poet/composers godspeed.

Denis Fodor                     Internety:[log in to unmask]