Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:35:43 -0800
From:
Lindsey Orcutt <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz wrote:

>Finally, a list member who went to this movie without preconceived
>expectations.  I congratulate Walter and his wife.  The movie has been
>blasted for inaccuracy and purient focus.  I think that Steve had lamented

I have yet to see it and the "bad press" (so-to-speak) that the movie has
gotten here only piqued my interest.  Call me weird.:-)

>Whatever else the movie was intended to do, its basic intent was to make
>money - it's a commercial film.  A focus on creativity would likely be a
>money loser. ...

You make a good point: it seems this is what they did with Immortal
Beloved.  Only in this case, I really couldn't give a rip about Beethoven's
lovers or who "she" was.  I wanted to know more about HIM, and didn't feel
the film gave me much of that.

On the other hand, the "dumbing down" aspect has allowed me to enjoy movies
like "Shakespeare in Love" though I *knew* all along there were glaring
errors.  (Seriously, who in 1570-something said "Don't have a cow..."???)
There's something to be said about taking movies on their own terms.

-Lindsey