From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 17:27:33 -0400
Peter L. Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The drone’s strategy to choose the nearer DCA would lead to a genetic
over-representation of nearby colonies and increase genetic differences
among the DCA’s within the region. In the context of this “drone clumping”
*the choice of virgin queens among DCA’s seems to be of great
significance*.

>Basically, this proves drones are lazy, which we already knew.

Hello Peter,

Could you please expand on how drones are determined to be lazy?

Would you describe worker bees visiting the nearby acre of clover, instead
of going a mile further for another acre of clover also to be lazy?

I don’t see a drone as lazy.  I see a powerful flyer resting in the hive
gaining energy.  And when conditions are right, perhaps taking 2 or 3
flights to visit several DCA’s and capable of bursts of speed in pursuing
queens etc.

>really don't think you will see very much difference in bees "over on the
>next ridge".

Maybe not the next ridge, but I am seeing differences in traits in
populations of ferals as close as about 5 miles or so.  In some areas
that I am more familiar with, I have been able to record particular traits
that seem to exist only in these populations.

Best Wishes,
Joe
FeralBeeProject.com