From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:47:58 -0500
Back to ccd
Its too bad noone else wishes to 'come out of the closet'
I surely can't be the only one on this BBS with ccd?

I wasn't going to write again, a conversation with
yourself is not very fruitful,  but---

After watching the ccd (deadout) boxes for some
time I can say with 100% assurence
A) I really truely had/have ccd
B) It is infectious, NOT caused by poison
(likely a virus that I will call X)

The effect of ccd boxes on ants is striking
Not only is it a 100% test for ccd (no ants within) but
leave the box there for 1 month, and watch the ant colony
dwindle and dissapear, even tho they avoid the
ccd box there must be some contact
Ants 100' away do not seem to be effected
Perhaps ants are even more susceptable to X??
Maybe someone wants to make big $$$$
with a viral insecticide?
Very definatly NOT A GOOD IDEA

I'll go out on a limb:
the study of ants infected with X will lead
to breakthru --- 2 or 3 years from now
Of course we need something NOW

Vitamin C is somewhat usful, but NOT a cure
(depending on rigor 20 to 40 (out of 100))
Another indication that it is a virus
As always (for C) LOTS & OFTEN
This is a problem with full sized hives
Fortunatly they are not heavy !?!

I continue to see the symptoms I described earlier
Hell what's the use, you won't believe me until
it happens to you & it will

I'll finish the tale of the RQ hive
A day before the last of RQGD brood was due
to emerge  all the pupae were gone,
replaced by pollen.  AFAICT all (100%)
of RQGD brood died.
The Aussie replacement seemed to have no problems,
no brood mortality, no sign of infected comb ect
This was the point I started dosing with C so ??
(didn't want to waste my $20)

I still havn't found a source of acetic acid,
I would have spent $100 in a heartbeat

dave