ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Max Scharfenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:02:56 -0600

I agree with all the comments made so far.  We have tried very hard to dispel the notion that a Scientist is the "bald white guy, in late 50's with horney rimmed glasses, a pocket protector walking the halls of some University mumbling to themselves".  The lab coat is one of function just as the computer is.  I was recently at the opening of a new Nano-technology Centre and was given a tour of the labs.  They consisted of Microscope rooms with nothing more than alien looking contraptions to a  fully functioning Biology lab complete with beakers, fume hoods, lab benches and computers. The folks that worked there were in lab coats, in the clean room the researchers wore full body suits.  What I try to tell visitors to our facility is that a scientist wears clothing that makes sense to the type of work they do and that each piece of clothing that they wear represents a uniform to do a specific job.

Max Scharfenberger
VP Programs
TELUS World of Science - Edmonton
11211 142 Street