ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:34:30 -0500
From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:

I agree with Heather. It originally never occurred to me that "we"
would  ever screen this movie (although I don't see why not, see
below). I assumed that they would be disseminated through some sort
of direct to the teacher outlet. Hopefully as part of a larger
Climate Change curriculum packet.

On the other hand why not screen it? Follow it up with scientist
debating the merits of the science. Maybe some policy experts. Maybe
some media or film critics or some professional documentarians? Why
not? Remember this film is basically a hyped up Powerpoint
presentation and look how well it did. That alone is worthy of
discussion. Maybe a historian working in the history of meteorology
or climate science? Why not? Al Gore is not currently running for
anything so our 501(c)3 status shouldn't be in danger. Invite him to
defend himself against critics. He is not shy about talking on the
subject.

Let me open this sore a little wider.

What if we sold the DVD in our stores? Which I suspect many of us do
now or will soon. Would it be as much an issue with us? I suspect not
but it should be. We see a line between our Business Ventures and our
intellectual content, but our visitors tend to see everything in our
walls as one continuous experience. Is there a moral or PR difference
between what we sell in our store and what we give away through our
educational programs? Do funders, the press, and our visitors see the
distinction? I'd rather give this or any other DVD of equal
scientific content to a teacher than charge her money for it.

What if a science center screened the movie in an Imax, Omni-Max,
Mega-Max, Maxi-Max type theater for profit? Would that be acceptable?
If so, why? If not, why not? A lot of pop culture first run films run
in Science Center Imaxes. Why not this one? Many of those a big
budget cartoons that contain little or no science (I saw the last
Harry Potter Movie in the Air and Space Museum's Imax. In the
Lockheed Martin Theater no less. Okay, there are flying brooms)

I once saw a 3-D T-Rex movie that was preceded by a disclaimer that
the movie contained historic inaccuracies. It was a very popular
movie with wide circulation.

Why is that acceptable to screen, but we hesitate with the
"Inconvenient Truth" because we are worried about the political
fallout? Is it all about public perception? Money?

Where in all of this discussion do our missions come in?

Thanks for a great discussion. Gotta go to class.

Matt White