ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:44:48 -0500
From:
Stephen Uzzo <[log in to unmask]>
7bit

Thanks Matthew -
This brings up an interesting problem with science. At its very roots
have been the struggle between science as an aspect of human creative
endeavor: the motive of which is the understanding of Nature (the
ideal); and the business side of science, which is to develop ways to
manipulate nature to make money. Most of science resides somewhere
between these two poles: overall there should be a balance.

But here is a case in which the balance may have broken down. If what
the article states is even partially true, the NSTA's credibility is
compromised and they have a lot of explaining and damage control to do.
The NSTA is the gatekeeper for the integrity of science teaching in the
United States, and I would be willing to bet that a significant number
of teachers would be appalled to read this article.

Problems of funding educational institutions make it difficult to resist
making deals with some devils, but it seem like the NSTA may have lost
sight of the forest in pursuit of the trees.  There are lessons to be
learned from this for us all.

--
Stephen Miles Uzzo
Director of Technology