ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:04:30 -0500
Subject:
From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>

There was an interesting piece in the Outlook section of the
Washington Post this morning that I thought I would bring to the
attention of hte group for discussion.

The article was written by Laurie David,  one of the producers of Al
Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth."

The article can be found at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/
content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112400789.html

A brief synopsis:

Apparently the makers of the movie wanted to give thousands of copies
away to schools. They contacted the NSTA and offered them 50,000
copies for distribution. The NSTA declined the offer. Here is the
pertinent paragraph with their reply:

"In their e-mail rejection, they expressed concern that other
"special interests" might ask to distribute materials, too; they said
they didn't want to offer "political" endorsement of the film; and
they saw "little, if any, benefit to NSTA or its members" in
accepting the free DVDs."

The article then goes on to compare that position with the NSTA's
cooperation, some would say complicity, in helping the oil industry
deliver their curriculum materials. They also point out that many of
the programs that the NSTA has developed in past years have been paid
for by companies like Texaco and Exxon/Mobil.

The issue is more complicated than the author makes it appear, but
she does have a point.

The points I thought worthy of discussion here:

1. Is this typical NSTA behavior? I am not familiar with NSTA as I
don't work much directly with Science Teachers.  Are the Petroleum
Industry sponsored curriculum materials as pro-energy usage and pro-
petroleum industry as the author suggests? I recall the Reddy
Kilowatt character from my youth and he certainly was.

2. We all need money to produce our programs Many (most) of us apply,
compete for , and sometimes even win grants from eleemosynary arms of
large corporate entities that have  vested interests in specific
public policies and even candidates.  The problems in censorship,
external, internal and self, has been chewed over ad nauseam in the
museum and popular press.  But as a Director of a small center that
takes corporate funding that is part of a larger entity that takes
corporate funding, that is part of an even larger institution that
takes corporate funding I find the NSTA decision odd. When you accept
this type of money you have to be MORE careful not to appear biased.
This move seems tailored made for controversy.

Anyway, I have rambled on. Sorry.

Discuss among yourselves.

Matthew White
Director, Hands On Science Center