From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:43:47 -0400
Loyd said:
“4.  Some of this bandwagon is being pushed forward by those beekeepers who
want to get on the public teat, side-by-side with the beef, wheat, corn, and
others through the new farm bill.  I am told this is likely to come to
pass.”

  Unfortunately the agricultural environment being what it is, getting on
the “public teat” is, if not a necessity for survival, at the very least a
huge factor in the Darwinian sense.  If one element of a market gets even a
slight advantage from government subsidies in the form of say artificially
maintained currency exchange rates, it puts pressure on other players to
try to offset that in any way they can.  We all know how complicated this
gets.  It gets hard to know exactly where to put the blame, but it seems
there's no end to it.

Steve Noble