From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:44:20 EDT
Peter says:  AP article says: Nationwide, more than a quarter-million  hives
were found empty in
March.  And he asks where they get their  numbers?

Who knows where the press gets its numbers.

Reporters nowadays think fact checking consists of getting the correct
spelling of the names of people they often misquote.

National publications, including most scientific journals, have a policy
AGAINST providing a copy of the article to the people quoted prior to
publication.  That came through loud and clear a few years ago at a  Journalist's
Symposium held in conjunction with a National Animal Behavior  Society in Missoula.

What I learned was: many of the major journals,  newspapers, and  magazines
can and will fire a reporter who sends an advance copy back  to the people
interviewed. They argue that they have the right and an  obligation to write
stories without undue influence by the people contacted,  while putting the story
together.

All of which seems bogus to me.  No reporter or editor has to make  changes
suggested by the source(s) of their information.  Fact checking  should be just
that -- get the facts straight.  Reporters and especially  their editors will
put whatever spin on a story that they like,  but they should be required to
be factual.

That's why a few years ago, relative to some of our other work (not CCD) a
magazine like Forbes got the story all wrong, while ironically the Enquirer
actually it right.

Jerry