From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 09:33:02 -0400
>How does one seperate these type queens from laying workers
>by the way? Are there any keys to look for for differences?

The difference between a colony with a queen laying multiple eggs and a
colony of laying workers would be

1) queen-right colony has a queen
2) laying worker eggs are usually scattered, often on the sides of the cells
3) laying worker eggs develop into little tiny drones, queen eggs hatch out
workers
4) queen-right hive will pick up if there are enough bees, a drone layer
will fail

If the queen looks good you can BOOST the colony by adding bees and brood
from another hive. If the hive is very weak, you may want to cage the queen.
Otherwise, just place the new brood frames next to the brood that is there.

My treatment for laying workers is: DUMP them out away from the apiary. By
the time the colony is that far gone, there really isn't anything left worth
saving but the frames.

pb

PS. I don't believe that a laying worker hive will ever set itself aright;
even if it could, it's extremely rare and not to be depended upon