Condense Mail Headers

From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:46:05 -0500
Hello All,

The news in Pennsylvania concerning the outlook for honeybee colony
survival this winter is typically described in many news articles (similar
to the one at the bottom of the page) as a grave.  Some beekeepers are
already reporting colony losses this year here in PA.

(See link to ARTICLE at the bottom of the letter)

I was asked earlier this year by some neighboring beekeepers to inspect
their colonies in mid July to try and help determine why they weren’t doing
so well.  Looking at these colonies, the cause was obvious and the symptoms
were many.  Mite populations were what I would describe as very low and
also not the time of year one might expect to see severe stress from mites
(so mite pressure and associated disease ruled out here).  The bees
themselves and brood nest generally appeared to be in rather good health,
and I was satisfied that there were no brood related disease or stress
factors affecting the health and broodnest function in these colonies.

What I like to see during late June to July, is colonies in my area should
be rather heavy with stores and brood, and one occasionally needs to open
up the broodnest to insure proper development and productivity.  But there
was an obvious absence of a honey cap and nectar near the broodnest in
these colonies, and apparently a lack of nectar intake was having a severe
impact on broodnest development and colony growth, as many colonies were
very light and only managing to rear only very small amounts of brood.
Looking at the affected 2006 seasons package bees, and weak colonies, the
outlook for survival appears to be grave.  For comparison, the majority of
my colonies were a bit light on stores, but still managing a sufficient
nectar intake to maintain a very strong productive broodnest and population
throughout the summer.    Inspecting my 2006 feral swarms; about one half
of these also appeared to be coping remarkably well.

Looking back at the year, it seemed like the nectar flow in May was rather
normal, but was basically non existent as the early flow progressed thru
the end of May into June, at the time when colonies here need to be packing
the broodnest with much of the pollen and honey needed for summer carryover
and fall flow build up, and swarms and packages also needing the nutrition
at this time for colony growth and summer carry over.  IMO, because the
symptoms stated above, and that the losses are occurring over the vast
regional area, weather is certainly a potential culprit.  And because some
mature colonies as well as 2006 feral swarms appear to be coping much
better than others,   it suggests genetics is playing an obvious role here
also.

IMO, these losses some are experiencing in Pennsylvania this 2006 season
are the result of a natural weather fluctuation that occurs every so
often.  But this particular fluctuation is having an extreme impact because
of the timing of the occurance.  It happened to occur around the time of
the second half of the early flow, at a time highly important for colony
developmental growth, summer carryover and fall buildup, especially for
colonies in first year growth.  Another example natural weather fluctuation
timed with other stresses to cause high losses, is the weather fluctuation
that coincided with varroa infestations during 95-96 to cause very high
colony losses over a vast region in the north east.

It is simply, natures way of occasionally culling the poor genetics and
bringing the honeybee back into balance with it’s environment.  Any poor
genetics can handle one stress at a time, but compounding stresses will
stress the poor genetics the most.  YES,  weak colonies and young colonies
will have a exceptionally difficult time, and some regional areas more than
others,  but it basically comes down to genetics fit for your environmental
conditions.  The key might be to resist blaming the weather for this
problem and place blame on genetics where it belongs.  Perhaps, now’s the
time to record which colonies outperformed in these extreme conditions for
expansion next season, and non performers for potential elimination.  A
lack of teaching of our beekeepers the lost art of evaluating and breeding
the best bee seems to show itself every few years.  And many areas could
benifit from a development of some type of beekeeping program focused on
the basics of evaluating and breeding honeybee stock fit for our
enviornment.

ARTICLE:

“Forget the spy mystery -- what's killing the bees?”
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_483406.html

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'