Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:18:57 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Sorry  for going on, but not unlike another set of recent posts, I
>passionately  believe that classical music, at its best, is one of the
>finest expressions  of our species and as such, it needs to be treated
>with the greatest  respect and nurtured.  I guess I don't see us nurturing
>great  expression as much as I can remember from even the times of my
>youth, some  40+ years ago.

I think classical music has always been a kind of "cottage industry"
and has served the enduring interests of a mostly selective audience.
But that is besides my real point here: The real reason classical music
is viewed as "dying" is due to lack of funding.  If there was more
government support (fiscally and culturally), classical music could
flourish and be more accessible as Karl pointed out it has been in the
past.  Young composers (They are there.  I know them and was one) are
not able to make a viable living from these pursuits (I know many talented
musicians who transitioned into careers in computers).  Those who might
become composers can't perceive it as a potential life style.

N Costanza (NYC)