ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Walter Staveloz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:24:33 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to share some information about the IGLO-ASTC pre-conference
program (October 12, 2007). We will be hosted by the Aquarium of the
Pacific, which is undertaking an important greening plan that should inspire
us all to think about new strategies for our own institutions.

As they did for our pre-conference session last year, our friends at NASA
and NOAA will support this initiative with underwriting and content. We will
have an impressive morning session about the science behind global warming,
the links between oceans and climate and an exploration of what is really
going on with the Greenland Ice sheet. Presentations will be made by Dr.
Waleed Abdalati, head of the Cryospheric Sciences Branch at NASA's Goddard
Space Flight Center, and Dr. Keith W. Dixon, meteorologist at the Climate
Dynamics & Prediction Group of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
(GFDL) Princeton University.

In the afternoon, we will have four breakout sessions to address topics
linked to the role of science centers, museums and other informal learning
institutions in illustrating and discussing climate issues. They will be
organized around participants' examples that will provide an introduction to
a larger discussion.

If you are interested and can propose an example for the discussion based on
your experience in the selected field, we greatly appreciate your prompt
response because we want to let everyone know more about the program
throughout the summer. Another option is to present a poster. Last year we
had more than 20 posters at the lunchtime poster session. Again, let us know
as soon as possible if you are planning to do a poster so that we can make
the practical arrangements.

The participation fee: (transportation, coffee breaks, lunch and closing
reception) is only $65 thanks to our sponsoring host, the Aquarium of the
Pacific. Since this announcement did not appear in the pre-program for the
conference, we have agreed with the conference staff at ASTC that we will
collect your fee on the day of the event.

It is very important that you register for this session by sending your
confirmation to [log in to unmask]  A maximum 150 people may participate, and we
need to know the number in advance to ensure the best possible event.

Thank you for your support.  Please sign up for this session as soon as you
can.

Best regards,

Walter Staveloz

Walter Staveloz
Director, International Relations
Association of Science-Technology Centers
1025 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20005-6310, USA
+1 202/783-7200 x118
Cell: +1 202/492 8253