ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:46:36 +1000

I think the venier motion detectors use a "time of flight" ultrasonic
system, not doppler, and so measure the range to the relecting surface,
and track changes in the range to calculate speed/acc etc, and as such
probably would see a stream of sand as a stationary boundary.

A simple and "obvious to the public" ( can we ever assume this?)..
Method might be to locate an undershot paddle wheel in the sand stream,
and either link that to a tachometer to gauge the speed ( if the volumes
of sand and the speeds are sufficient, the paddle wheel could be linked
to a dc generator and directly output a signal to feed into an
ammeter/volt meter, or other display/logging system).

I don't know what the system is trying to show or do. But if you let the
sand run off the end of the slope, you can calibrate (calculate) its
speed from the curve the sand takes in flight, as the path is directly
related to its speed, no moving parts, just a graphic beside the sand
"waterfall" and nice  opportunity to disucss a basic bit of physics.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Kohlhagen
Manager Exhibition services
Questacon the national science and technology centre
Canberra