ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wayne Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:24:20 -0700

At our small museum, the things that usually make people smile or
sometimes laugh are optical illusions,  particularly, the kind that
produce motion in some way. One that quite often brings a laugh though
uses two large mirrors perpendicular to one another. I first saw this at
the Exploratorium, and got quite a laugh when someone showed how they
could elevate themselves off the floor when bisecting themselves along
the edge of one the mirrors.  Our former ops mgr had a good twist. He'd
stand along the edge with a cap on, then with the hand out of sight lift
his cap up. It looked as though the cap was floating in air.

Of course, the Van De Graaf gets a lot of laughs when people have their
hair standing out.

Lightly shocking people often makes them giggle. There's one in which a
group of people form a circle and share the shock experience. It's not
an exhibit, but can be fun when groups are visiting. Another one like it
uses small ping-pong balls from from Arbor Scientific (?) that has an
LED. I've forgotten how it works, but joining hands triggers the LED
into blinking. That brings a laugh and giggles.

Although I didn't spend a lot of time at a recent visit a the LHS
(Lawrence Hall of Science) in Berkeley, they featured an exhibit called
Circus not long ago that's probably still there. One would expect some
humor from it.

--

              Frank and Ernest cartoon: Frank says, "Ther're two
              American holidays honoring the military, one in May,

                  Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>