ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:09:09 -0700

Hello Beryl,

And all you other ASTC'rs - Another great job by ASTC and thanks to our
host, the folk at The Louisville Science Center - a good time was had by
all.

About the facility rental issue, I can only offer my opinion. First off,
rather than check a survey, why not check the pulse of your own
organization. I'm sure there are people in it that have strong opinions
of their own. Your memory, even if it is coming from your 'gut' is
likely right. In institutions where I have worked I have always
advocated that if a piece of the regular public space had to be closed
to normal visitors that those visitors would be told up front, given
reduced admission  and/or a receipt that they could use to come back
again at a future time - even if it the closure was for a class or some
other 'mission related' activity. It's only fair, especially if you are
making money for renting the space out for the activity.

Most visitors can accept some of these inconveniences, especially if you
make an effort to compensate them in some way for it. Remember, they did
make the trip, paid for gas, parking, whatever - and were expecting to
make a full visit. The few dollars you're not making on their admissions
- already being made up for by the rental - will be worth the good will
you will be spreading. But don't do it  too often or I suspect you will
start pissing people off.

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com