From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:32:01 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Unfortunately, there was no link to the
> study.

I googled for any study (organic nutrients higher study) and found some
interesting studies. Here is a recent one by the British gov. reported
by the Independent.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2283928.ece

which found that organic is not as friendly to the environment as it is
supposed to be. Plus, the organic milk was higher in vitamin E, which is
not necessarily a good thing, depending on whose study you want to believe.

Most of the other "studies" were by organic groups so a bit suspect.

There was one by the US EPA that found something interesting.

There will be uptake of certain minerals by plants and some will be
greater than others. The soil in the area is the first thing that
determines this. Adding supplements is the next. You have to bring in
things from away to do any good since all you do if you compost the
plants that grow there is to maintain a static system. Think fertilizer,
garbage and manure as being from away. That is where to get any mineral
additions that the local plants might need for good growth.

Turns out the one thing that works the best for a soil supplement, as
found by the EPA,  is sewage sludge. When Maine's Organic group tried to
get it approved, it was shot down by the hobby growers. It should be
welcomed as it completes the loop for human activity. Commercial growers
use it. So one would think that they would have the healthier produce.
(The "heavy metal" problem was solved long ago.)

As far as nutrients go, it would be nice to say we get more nutrients
from a stalk of organic celery than a stalk of commercially grown, but
we will not eat just one stalk and will still get all the nutrients we
need. (Those polyphenols are in most plants in varying degree. Grape
juice will take care of any you might miss in that celery stalk. Or a
glass of wine.)

There is a basic fact. We are living longer, healthier lives. There are
all sorts of diseases we just do not have that are caused by mineral
deficiencies. If our soil was deficient, that would show in hospital
admissions. Not so. Instead, our problem is not that we do not get
enough nutrients, it is that we have too many and are overweight.

Which gets us back to honey. There is no difference between my honey if
I was organic or if I use oxalic acid (which is OK in the EU for organic
but not the US).. Other than price.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine