From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 00:31:22 -0400
>"2. Virus contamination on comb is real and only solved by comb replacement
(boxes can be saved by power washing)"

I have been replacing old brood comb this year, and I have some questions
about how to go about this in the most effective and hopefully efficient
way possible.  Specifically:

1. How many years can you safely use brood comb?  It seems like you could
have virus infected comb after one season or if you are lucky it might not
happen for three or four seasons, and even then you wouldn't necessarily
know for sure. Having to replace comb every year would be a real drag.

2. I know that Varroa are always present in my hives even after treating.
(I have been using formic acid) I try to keep the levels down below
threshold, but if viruses are carried by the mites is there really any
threshold level below which we are safe?  If so what is it?  Has it gotten
lower recently?

3. I have been cleaning up the frames and boxes with a hive tool and then
flame torching all the surfaces with one of those butane torches; the kind
you use to sweat copper tubing.  Is this an effective enough sterilization
measure? It seems to me it would be more effective than power washing.

Steve Noble