From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:24:49 +1000
> Oh, yes, another important thing: Do not paint the hive (only the
> exterior corners). This allows the hive to breathe, moisture to
> escape.

Tim wrote a good answer to this but let me add another dimension.  If you do
not paint the inside but paint the outside then the outside will not absorb
moisture and the inside will.  So the inside is being subjected to a higher
moisture content than the outside.  This means the inside will swell and the
outside not.  This is until such time as the whole piece of wood is in
equilibrium.  This will take a while so you have the situation where the
inside is swelling, the outside not so you have stresses being created in
the wood which will allow for warping.

If you do not paint any side, then the outside is also being subjected to
drying stresses from the sun and the warping will be more excessive.  This
warping normally takes the form of cupping, since the outside is drier than
the inside and will be very pronounced in back cut boards.  If it is quarter
cut then there will not be a lot of cupping.  However most wider boards,
such as bee boxes, are back cut to allow for maximum width when sawing.

Knew all those years in Forestry dealing with timber would one day come in
handy.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Had a look at www.apimondia2007.com