From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:43:50 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
robin.dartington <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Interesting comparisons - could I ask for clarification of the commercial
>terminology - so an amateur can understand what the competition in UK is
>when taking jars to the local deli.

These are standard trade terms used in trade contracts and quotations,
and all are defined under international agreements  in a form known as
'INCOTERMS 2000'

For anyone's convenience here is a wall chart (its needs acrobat) that
can be printed which gives a brief explanation of each term and the
risks and responsibilities associated with each term.

http://www.iccwbo.org/incoterms/wallchart/wallchart.pdf

If you just want to read them then this link is good, and you can then
click each term for a fuller definition.

http://www.iccwbo.org/incoterms/id3040/index.html

CFR, which related to the first Canadian item, means the Canadian seller
was paying the freight as far as the European port.

As regards an amateurs honey to the local deli? No relevance at all, its
apples and oranges again..........your tonnage will not be on the radar
as regards international trade, so get as much as you can for it.

It IS relevant to sellers of  bulk honey into the general trade, as this
is the information that needs to be understood to work backwards to have
an idea of what the beekeeper can expect to have been getting. It is
important to most nations, as the larger producers need to sell in bulk
(even here in the UK......I sold ALL my harvest in bulk in steel drums),
and is of special interest to those in Canada, USA, South America,
Australia, and New Zealand, where many are producing so much honey in
areas of relatively sparse population, that the packed trade is NOT a
viable option.

--
Murray McGregor

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *