From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:29:48 -0000
Bill wrote:
> Bees did pretty well for themselves for millions of years before man caged
> them. To think that their survival is dependent on a beekeeper is
> presumptuous.

Agree with the first sentence, but beekeepers have selected for a very
different bee from the one that survived so well.  If this is not true, tell
me why there are so few feral colonies.

Yes, it is likely - almost certain - that some escaping swarms would survive
and, given time, I suspect that bees would thrive once again (whether they
would have the same perceived economic value could be debated); but in the
short term, if all beekeepers stopped tending bees now then I am sure that
very few colonies would survive.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                  *
* Please fill out the Colony Collapse Disorder survey at http://www.beesurvey.com *