From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:07:08 -0800
From Ananova, the cultured - if pixilated* - cyber-journalist - [*as in
pixels, presumably not a drunk herself as is the alleged opera-phobic
mob of the underground]

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=iol1173312521148A551

   Vienna is hoping that opera will succeed where police have failed
   in driving drug addicts and drunks out of the city's underground
   network.

   Drug addicts and alcoholics have refused to move on from the
   city's main Karlsplatz underground station despite frequent
   police crackdowns over the years.

   Local councillor Ursula Stenzel said: "We will be playing classical
   music, and broadcasting opera on specially installed TV screens."

   She said she hoped the music would force the troublemakers to move on.

   Her spokesperson said: "These sort of people are not known for
   their love of opera and classical music, and we believe they
   will not hang around.  Those that do might find that civilised
   music encourages civilised behaviour."

   The social workers already working with the loiterers however
   are sceptical the idea will really work.

[A personal note: opera has never driven me out of whatever I was
underneath.]

Janos Gereben/SF
www.sfcv.org