From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 03:00:46 -0600
> I have purchased some high end video equipment (well, hi end to me
> anyways) ;), and want to video tape a grooming event in one of my colonies

You probably know this, but a typical, fairly cheap (>$200) mini camera will
take pretty decent macro video these days - with sound.

If this is a feature that is important to you, it pays to compare when
buying, since some are far better than others in the same price range.  I
was playing with my Canon PowerShot DS600 just now and see that it can shoot
down to where one bee is 1/2 the field +/-.  I have to hold it within
several inches, though, so for some things it might be disruptive or
impractical. since the zoom does not assist in extreme close-ups.

These cameras can be very small and take amazing pictures.  This one is
smaller than a pack of cigarettes and therefore I almost always have it
along.  It also has a huge LCD, which I can see in bright daylight, plus I
can zoom in on detail in any picture I have taken and pan around.  I carry
my whole recent photo album on its 1 GB high speed card, and can instantly
provide a slide show, including video with sound, to anyone who shows the
slightest interest -- on the camera itself or a nearby TV, using a cable.
The card comes out and slots into my laptop for transfer or editing.

Other uses?  Well, I take pictures of newspaper articles, pages in books, my
computer screen (error messages, airline reservations, to-do lists),
documents to email, traffic signs, maps and directions, people whom I want
to remember, details of parts that need to be purchased (or re-assembled),
etc.  It has become more indispensable than a pen and paper.

And when my camera is not nearby?  Whoda guessed it?  My cell phone will
shoot almost as high quality and close-up and also do acceptable videos.