From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:18:17 +0100
Hi Bill

> If I recall what Norman was disputing was the mite as a vector of the
> virus. His research looked at that and he concluded that the mite was
> not the vector. During those days, the mite was blamed as a carrier of
> the virus.

The bees carry the virus, but the varroa mite allows the virus to infect
the bee by injection which only takes about a hundred viruses to
achieve. Normal oral infection of the same virus takes 10 to the power
13 to achieve the same effect.

The direct route to the heamolymph is the important factor, the mite may
or may not carry the virus itself, but it's penetration of the bee's
defences is the route cause, allowing the smaller number an easier path.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)