From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:52:02 -0500
I was thinking about possible atrazine residues in corn syrup and atrazine's overaall  impact on bees.

reading from the NYT's

" A couple of years ago, a U.C. Berkeley herpetologist named Tyrone Hayes, while doing research on
behalf of Syngenta, Atrazine's manufacturer, found that even at concentrations as low as 0.1 part per
billion, the herbicide will chemically emasculate a male frog, causing its gonads to produce eggs —
in effect, turning males into hermaphrodites. Atrazine is often present in American waterways at
much higher concentrations than 0.1 part per billion"

Europe has banned the use of the chemical while presently it's used on 70% of all corn in the USA. If
this stuff is that powerful in small amounts to an amphibian what are the potential effects on bees
who in some regions live in a cloud of this stuff, pick it up in the water and then my question about
corn syrup exposure too.

Does anyone know of studies looking at bees and atrazine? and what levels it can be found in corn
syrup? Seems like the jury is still out on this material concerning human risk so why would we not be
concerned about it with honey bees?