From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:58:34 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Harrison" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] the African Bee in Africa

Hello Chris & All,
Chris wrote:
>In a word 'Yes!'

> The only time I  saw it, just a couple of cells in a nuc, in my bees I
called in the Bee  Inspector as the law (UK)
demands.

.When I was on the Irish Beekeeping list years ago the subject of European
Foulbrood ( E. F.)came up often. When I was asked about the U.S. and E F.
think you might remember my answer.

"All the U.S. treats spring and fall with terramycin and most beekeepers
would not know E.F. if they saw it."

I have seen plenty of EF through the years mainly because I only treated
when necessary. Before Parasitic mite syndrome (PMS) E.F. was easy to see
for most beekeepers  because E.F. only effects the very young larva and AFB
the late stage larva pupa.

However now PMS effects the larva so looks like E.F.. I have not had a hive
with PMS in over five years. A friend had over a thousand boxes with what he
believed was PMS this year.

Another beekeeper friend in Florida emailed me last year that treating with
terramycin cleared up his PMS and thought I would want to know. I passed the
information on and the beekeepers said that was not possible. Thinking back
I think what he had was E.F.

E.F. & AFB 101:

When looking at larva for E.F or AFB."White is right"

If yellow or brown  I would suspect E.F.in very young larva. A few cells
might be sealed with E.F. but for the most part . E.F. effects the still
coiled larva in the base of the cell .

AFB is usually in the late larval stage. Discoloration of mature larva or
pupa is one of the main indicators of active AFB.
Once you smell AFB then smell helps in detection as well as being ropy.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.