From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:46:32 -0400
A response -- great

> I'm curious as hell.  Please keep me up to date!  The ant observation is
> stunning.
>--would really like to find the pathogen.

WHO CARES (what the pathogen is)
We need a treatment
Well, it helps to know what you are fighting
Have we cured the common cold or flu?
Will we ever?
Most pandemics come in waves, the reason unknown
It's usually more effective attacking the vector

>A virus triggered by stress would certainly be a reasonable hypothesis.
The implication is the virus was already there
This is probably NOT correct
The infection is STILL spreading

Anti virals are very expensive
So the answer is boring old medicatian trials
ie find something (several somethings) that
X really dislikes, but likely does not kill it (X)
Requires more than one yard infected, and several
dozen substances to test, and confirmation
by repeat test
This is boring, grotty work, suitable for undergrads
Noone wants to do grunt work anymore!

And noone is paying me for my pierceing intelligence
I'm the last guy on the line, only 3 hrs from the
northern limit (for bees)(Sudbury?)
Since Ontario is coming up with compensation I
may kill a hive or two testing (dubious) medications
(And I can't hardly spell)

dave