ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:59:28 -0800

Rita,
We ordered an inexpensive Microsoft Fingerprint Scanner to add a biometrics element to our security technology exhibits.  So far we haven't found a good user interface to put it on the floor, but it does give nice images of the fingerprints.  We were also able to fool it by making a silicone cast of my finger from a dental clay mold.

Years ago I worked an exhibit at the Exploratorium called Revealing Bodies (no plastination) which used scanners made by URU.  Their interface stored visitor's fingerprints and asked them questions at several stations throughout the exhibit.  They were a technical nightmare, the newer ones are more reliable and have better image quality.

Please keep me updated with your progress on this,
David