ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:50:56 -0800

I have supervised volunteers at both Pittsburgh's
original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular
Science and at the Andrew Carnegie Free Library and
Music Hall in Carnegie, Pennsylvania [which includes a
small Civil War Museum]. In both cases, volunteers
were simply expected to sign-in and sign-out of a
log-book each time they volunteered.

I fear that a time-clock would make volunteers feel
they are in a large bureaucracy which considers the
exact time of their shift more important than the
quality of volunteering the volunteer brings to the
institution. Even if it seems a simple solution, I
would refrain from having volunteers punch a
time-clock.

gaw

--- Evanna Morris & Len Litowitz <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Date:         Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:24:21 -0500
> From:         Evanna Morris & Len Litowitz
> Subject: Volunteers punching in?
> To:           [log in to unmask]
>
> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of
> Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums
> and related institutions.

> I am the Volunteer Coordinator of the Lancaster
> Science Factory in
> Lancaster PA.  We are getting ready to open our
> doors to the public
> on Jan 22 and getting ready to do volunteer
> training.  We thought
> that getting a time clock would make documenting
> hours easier but
> some of our people  think that it might make the
> volunteers feel that
> we don't trust them and should just use a log book
> instead.  What is
> the general practice?  Is this an insult to the
> volunteers?
> Your wisdom is appreciated!
> Thanks,
> Evanna

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs