ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:54:11 -0700

Since I went a little overboard on my last  post on this issue, and have yet to have a chance to answer all the emails I got offline on it, I would like to make some small points here:

1. Jonah, why do you think all of these things are so undoable? Some of them are quite doable and are done. Museums, science centers, and cultural centers, and art museums bring in musicians, cooks, artists, and artisans  from around the world to their towns. Right now on the National Mall you can here musicians from the Mekong Valley and Northern Ireland. It is kind of expensive, sure, but compared to what? The creation and traveling and maintenance of the latest Grossology exhibition? The construction and operating budget of an iMax theater? Please. And no it would not be for one concert. It would be for a concert, a few workshops, and even an oral history for the archives.

Can we take people under the South Pole or up Mount Everest? Jonah has cheated a little picking the most inaccessible, but on the other hand, SI Travel can take you to the South Pole, I am not sure if they go under it. Other museums and science centers sponsor educational trips around the world and to nearby locations of scientific interest.

The burning oil well fire would be difficult, but for the price of airfare and a week's hotel you could bring in someone who has been there and fought them for programming.

And it need not be to replace a film or exhibition, but enhance.

And enhance it does. I must admit I am moving soon and changing jobs, so all of my books and journals are packed away, so excuse the lack of specific citations, but "real" objects have a demonstrably positive effect on learning. According to the work reported in the book "Presence of the Past" by Rosenzweig and Thelen, museums are the most trusted source of information about History. More than text books, more than teachers, and certainly more than the press and movies. The reason is we have "the real stuff." It is not too hard to extrapolate these findings to science and other areas of informal learning and create a hypothesis about people's views and recall of different science topics in a variety of formats.

To pick up on one of Jonah's examples, do you think our visitors have more trust, would learn more, and recall better a film about Giant Squid at an iMax or actually seeing one in an aquarium, or a program with a squid expert with appropriate supporting specimen and artifacts? I know where to put my money.

I have much more to say on this topic, but I am late for lunch where I will enjoy food created by cooks from Northern Ireland and listen to musicians from Thailand.

Matthew White
Director, Hands On Science Center
National Museum of American History