ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Phillip Keck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:00:45 -0600

Cool!  It sounds like the salt and pepper was lining up in the places
where the plastic wrap was not shaking very much.  Those places are
called nodes.  The salt and pepper was getting bounced out of the places
where the plastic was shaking up and down a lot (the anti-nodes).

There are some really cool kits that are available that show this
stuff...they're called chladni plates.  Pasco (and many others) sell
them, and, they come in all different shapes and sizes.  Here are some
websites to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EprMFajNzfQ&mode=related&search=
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/chladni.html

Phil