ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:46:46 -0400

Scott:

Just one anecdotal comment for the moral: I helped create one of the
LEAST effective timelines I've ever seen in an exhibit while at another
institution. A geology curator an I converted a timeline of the Earth
into a 24 hour clock (not 12). Wow, were visitors confused. We managed
to take an already unfamilar set of concepts, make them more abstract
than than they already wer and present them in such an unusual format
that visitors may even have known less after their visit than they did
when they arrived. That part of the exhibit didn't last long enough for
the evaluators to point out its ineffectiveness. (Moral: Keep it simple
and familiar.)

Charlie

Charles Stout, Ph.D.
Media Arts Manager
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
220 East Ann Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734.995.5439 /18
fax 734.995.1188
cel 734.693.1033

The views and representations stated in this e-mail are the
individual's. They do not bind the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum or its
Board, staff or volunteers, and they do not necessarily reflect the
Museum's institutionally-held viewpoints, opinions or policies.