HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:43:46 -0700
I recall playing one for the nuns of St. Rita's in the South Bronx in the
late 1950s as a tyke. My grandfather had brought it back from England, a
merchant mariner, his brother, Leman Urquhart, once a Master Mariner. I left
it on a swing there went back and it was gone. Considering the number of
them found often in archaeological contexts one might wonder if they got the
name from their apparent disappearance. At first I thought all roads lead to
Lewes and where they're from, where Anne of Cleaves had her divorce from
Henry VIII settlement house.