HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Conrad Bladey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:12:01 -0500
Interesting-

One of the constant choruses from politicos is "let the haitians decide"
The question is without intervention do "indigenous" (for lack of a
better word in a hurry) peoples independently evolve strategies that
improve the resistance of structures to earthquake damage.
Is this something that dawns on them, how efficient is the process of
adaptation...

I suppose one would want to look at earthquake prone areas where one can
trace changes in Architectural adaptation over a long period. The area
selected should be one where significant adaptation has occurred. One
would not want to look at pockets that had resisted change.

One area possibly would be southern italy, maybe greece, maybe even
better turkey.

My theory is that successful adaptation to earthquake threat is a slow
process, that it is closely related to frequency of earthquakes and that
protection from earthquakes requires meeting a threshold of engineering
knowledge.
That when earthquakes are a problem local innovation should be replaced
by imposed strategy from those with the technological abilities.

Trouble is that one is not going to develop new strategies when one is
killed when the earthquake brings down the house on your head.
Also spiritual belief systems may also play a role. If earthquakes are
seen as the wrath of god(s) then it would be pointless to intervene.
Another area is that of economic development- I am sure that a good
number of folks are now trying to figure out how to get re-development
moneys for more concrete work. In this business the more earthquake
damage the better with the result that rebuilding happens as frequently
as possible. I think the discovery in China that buildings that
collapsed there were not built to specifications is interesting- again
this highlights the disconnect between earthquake and  successful
adaptation.

Conrad Bladey
Peasant