HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:56:47 -0700
Oops!  That might be important!

Bill

The Bottles, Marks, and History of the Southwestern Coca-Cola Bottling Co., New Mexico and Arizona, 1917-1947 by Bill Lockhart and Mike Miller

>>> Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]> 10/25/2009 12:02 AM >>>
Bill,

Please let us know the title of the book.

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577
Tucson AZ  85717-0577   USA
    520-798-1201 office, 520-798-1966 fax
    Email: [log in to unmask]

Hi All,

Over the next few weeks, I hope to send out a few e-mails about various
aspects of bottle research.  Even though bottle research is already a
specialization of artifact analysis, I wear two pretty different, although
often intertwined, hats -- one with the Bottle Research Group,
investigating manufacturer's marks and other identification issues of
national interest; the other as a researcher of local/regional bottles
from El Paso, Texas, Southern New Mexico, and Juarez, Mexico.

As such, I would like to announce a new book of regional interest that has
sections that may be useful to some of you.  Mike Miller and I wrote the
book about the Southwestern Coca-Cola Bottling Co., with branches in New
Mexico and Arizona.

The first two sections are specific to the company.  Part I discusses the
history, and Part II looks at the individual bottles used by the company.
What is useful from an archaeological point of view is that we were able
to take a variety of approaches and produce a chronology of bottles
ordered by this company on a year by year basis.  It is unusual to find
artifacts that provide that tight a dating set.

Part 3 is written by the Bottle Research Group and addresses the
manufacturer's marks used on the Southwestern Coke bottles (and flavor
bottles).

Part 4 is probably of greatest interest to historical archaeologists in
general.  I have provided a dating guide for embossed Hobble-Skirt
Coca-Cola bottles.  Since Coke bottles became virtually ubiquitous in the
US during the early part of the 20th century, this should prove helpful
for many, including some outside the US.

The book is not peer reviewed.  It was published by Lulu publishing and is
available on Amazon.com for $25 plus shipping.

I apologize to those of you who may feel this is not appropriate, but I do
not know of another good way to let you know that this type of publication
is available.

Thanks,

Bill Lockhart