HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ross Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:12:44 -0700
Ron et al,

Carmen is referring to an email I sent her.  I took her photo and showed it to Dongya Yang down the hall from me:
http://www.sfu.ca/archaeology/faculty/yang/index.html

Dongya is a native Chinese speaker, and was clear that the characters in photo say "heaven" (top character) and "big" (character under that).  It is clear that the item is broken and has several other Chinese characters surrounding these two.

Dongya is not a linguist nor an anthropologist of language, but he did say (as a native speaker) that Chinese characters can vary somewhat in meaning depending on the context of other characters around them.

Carmen - I'm sure he's happy to be cited as "pers. comm." in a report, but obviously for a "serious" analysis of the characters you would want a trained Chinese linguist....

Ross

Ross W. Jamieson
Associate Professor, Archaeology
Simon Fraser University