HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Melissa Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:02:08 -0700
It would be best if you can find the people in question in the Federal census records. (Signing up for Ancestry.com is great for this, even though it means I'm giving money to the Mormons.) In the late 19th and early 20th century census records, they list not only place of burth, but also place of birth of person's father & mother, so you can see what their ethnic background is, even if they are first generation American. In some of the later census records, they even had a column for language spoken. In the ones before than (c.1900, for example), you would see both country and ethnicity jammed into the place of birth column, such as Russia, Yiddish, or Austria, Slovak (The Austro-Hungarian empire included a lot of different ethnic groups).
  The problem with classifying someone's ethnicity based on last name inlcude the fact that it only reflect's the father's origin, whereas the mother may have more influence on the ethnicity of the household - type of diet, purchase of household goods, etc. Also, since last names were carried over with immigrants, can you tell an immigrant from Spain apart from one from Mexico who had Spanish ancestors many generations before?
  Meli Diamanti

"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Can anyone suggest some good sources (books) on the ethnic identity
of personal names? How can you tell if a name is Italian, Hispanic,
(even Puerto Rican vs. Mexican etc.) Irish, German, Polish, Russian
etc. when you are dealing with migrants in the United States? Or is
this possible?

Period: Late 19th Century and 20th Century
Place: United States

Bob Schuyler