HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Baumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 12:55:50 -0500
Below are two newspaper articles covering a new Section 106 review of a Hog CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation) near Arrow Rock, Missouri, which has two National Landmark designations and a state historic site (see: http://www.arrowrock.org/).  This is somewhat groundbreaking as the Missouri SHPO has never required this before, but in my opinion they should have been requiring it a long time ago.  There are two other state parks (Battle of Athens SHS and Roaring River SP) that are also currently threatened by CAFOs, but are not being reviewed under Section 106.  My feeling is that CAFOs need to be reviewed for their historic impacts from both their construction footprint and a two mile smell radius.  The latter is akin to the viewshed radius now reviewed for cell towers.

Hog farm plan draws review by federal agency - http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Jul/20070707News001.asp

State evaluation ahead for hog farm proposal - http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/181667.html

How are CAFOs handled in your state?  Do they have to go under Section 106 review? Please send me any case studies or comments.

If you would like to help with the Missouri CAFO issue, please write a letter or call Doyle Childers, the Director of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources at P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102, 1-800-361-4827, or [log in to unmask], and request that a rigorous section 106 review be required for the CAFO permit near Arrow Rock and for any another CAFO permits that involve Federal approval or funding.

I would also ask that you request in your letter that a five mile buffer zone be created around state parks, historic sites, and National Landmarks from CAFOs.  A bill was introduced this past year in the Missouri legislature to establish this buffer zone, which passed in committee, but never made it to the Senate floor for a vote.

For additional background on the Missouri CAFO issue, see the following web site: www.protectparks.org

Sincerely,

Timothy E. Baumann, PhD

Associate Professor of Anthropology