HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:03:45 -0500
I've had several inquiries about this.  If I'm remembering correctly (I
didn't take notes), it was actually a peripheral comment in Frank
Vento's paper entitled: "Deep Loot": Results of the Geomorphological
Deep Testing Grant - Upper Allegheny and Clarion Rivers, Pennsylvania.
He did not discuss the effect of this process on the distribution or
re-deposition of artifacts.  His focus in this paper was on soils and
sediments and where sites have the potential to occur.  I just thought
it was an interesting point and I see from the comments that similar
effects have been noticed by others.  Vento did not provide copies of
his paper and I can't seem to find his email address. But if someone is
particularly interested, he can probably be reached at Mercyhurst
College, PA, where he teaches anthropology.
Meli Diamanti