HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Scott Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:39:45 -0800
There has been quite a bit of work on the evaporative slat works around San
Francisco Bay.  Aside from the Sandoval volume noted previously it is mostly
grey literature:

Ananian, Benjamin

1985    An Archaeological Reconnaissance of 1200 Acres Associated with the
Proposed Shorelands Project, Hayward, Alameda County, California.  Prepared
for Cole/Mills Associates.

Baxter, R. Scott

2006    Historic Study Report for the Baumberg Biological Mitigation Tract,
Alameda County.  Report prepared for the California Department of
Transportation by Past Forward, Inc.

2006    Historic Property Survey Report for the Maumberg Mitigation Tract,
Alameda County.  Report prepared for the California Department of
Transportation by Past Forward, Inc.

Baxter, R. Scott and Rebecca Allen

2000    Historic Study Report for the Baumberg Biological Mitigation Tract,
Alameda County.  Report prepared for Santa Clara Valley Highway Association
by Past Forward, Inc.

2001    Evaluation Report of Historic Archaeological Resources for the
Baumberg Biological Mitigation Tract, Alameda County.  Report prepared for
Santa Clara Valley Highway Association by Past Forward, Inc.

Dobkin, Marjorie and Robert Bruce Anderson.

1994    Oliver Bros. Salt Co., Alameda County, California.  Historic
Resource Evaluation Report prepared for Mara Melandry, Environmental
Planning Branch, South District 4-Oakland, California Department of
Transportation.  Manuscript on file at Northwest Information Center, Sonoma
State University.

Hope, Andrew, Mark Hylkema, and Thad Van Bueren

1996    Archaeological Survey and Historical Resource Evaluation Report for
the Baumberg Biological Mitigation Tract, Alameda County.  On file at the
Northwest Information Center, Sonoma State University.

I have electronic versions of the reports we drafted and a paper I presented
at the SIA meeting a few years back if you would like them.  If you look at
the Cargill Salt webpage they have some photos of some of the old equipment
used around the Bay, including some unique windmills that used Archimedes
screws.  There is also some massive solar salt works at Guerrero Negro in
Baja California that I think are fairly historic.

Scott Baxter
Past Forward, Inc.