HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:39:55 -0400
Following the SHA Meeting in Baltimore (I think it was that meeting),  Lester
Ross met with me in San Diego to discuss developing a research design  that
predicted in advance what metal by-products and scraps could be predicted  from
various activities within a blacksmith shop (workbench, foundry, forge,
anvil, etc.). My challenge at the time was to design a method for distinguishing
1860s blacksmith debris from 1916 +/- U.S. Army occupation of the same
building.  Ross used information gleaned by Parcs Canada in blacksmith shop
investigations.  Unfortunately, the Army really smeared the old blacksmith shop before
it burned  in 1919 and we could never get a real handle on the blacksmith
traces. I  recommend communication with Parcs Canada with regards to
identification of  waste materials. Lester would be a good contact too, but he is probably
reading  this message.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.