HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:43:46 -0400
I'm looking for information to help me identify industrial waste and
byproducts.
In the past, I've had either glassy/bubbly or more metallic material
that I have simply classified as slag.  But I now have a crew doing work
in a steel town in western Pennsylvania (Braddock) and want to know
whether there are distinctions I should be making within slag.  Also
what does coke look like (made from coal for steel plant fuel)?  What
about other coal waste ("clinkers")?  or other products that I would be
likely to encounter in that setting.  I've seen everything from black to
ashy beige materials, to a very blue-ish gray; some dense, some very
light and full of air bubbles like pumice.  I can see that they are
different materials, but don't know where to look, to learn how to
better classify them.  So any descriptions, pictures, or directions to
an informative website would be greatly appreciated.
Melissa Diamanti
Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.