From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:34:51 -0500
Philip Peters wrote:

>I always recommend the 1967 Guarneri version (not the later one).

Assuming you mean the one reissued on BMG's 60458-2-RG, this is the one I
have, and I also would recommend it highly.

However, as I read Zack's message, his basic problem was that he was
having trouble "getting into" the quartets, and wondered if a different
performance would help.  My advice on that question would be as follows.

Yes, it is always a good idea to listen to various versions of works as
supreme as the late LvB quartets, because no group of four human beings
can completely exhaust their significance.  But the problem you have
understanding these works is, believe me, not just yours.  It takes even
the most skilled listeners years of experience before they really feel that
they can address them adequately.  Some would say that these quartets are
the deepest, highest, widest ...  whatever, pieces of music that exist.
So keep at it; the more you listen, the more you will get out of them, I
guarantee.  It is also helpful to read as much as you can from the numerous
books on Beethoven's music and life.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]