From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:46:13 -0500
> Oxalic acid is hurting (weakening) bees and open a gate for secondary
>
> diseases ( for instance - virus).

It has been shown that OA does harm bees and brood. However the degree
of harm depends on the strength of the acid, when applied,  and the
number of times it is applied.

Plus, the bees recover from the treatments when done properly.

The second part of the statement, opening a gate for disease, is not a
necessary follow up to the first. There are many things at work here and
I would be slow to condemn the use of OA. Improper use, late use (after
Varroa have done their damage), or a host of other factors can lead to
colony problems. It should be noted that OA should be applied when the
colony is nearly broodless, so the problems in the article should not
apply to proper OA use, especially in Northern areas.

It would be nice to hear from someone else in Sweden with good
documentation to confirm the use of OA and high losses. I take those
kind of statements with a grain of salt unless I know the source and any
prejudices involved.

Bill Truesdell (who has 175 tons of salt in his bee yard since joining
the beelist)
Bath, Maine